[LLVMdev] LLD AbsoluteAtoms

Nick Kledzik kledzik at apple.com
Mon Oct 15 16:07:17 PDT 2012

On Oct 15, 2012, at 4:00 PM, Sid Manning wrote:

> On 10/15/12 12:01, Nick Kledzik wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 15, 2012, at 8:08 AM, Sidney Manning wrote:
>>>
>>> I think that absolute atoms will need something similar to, "contentType" added.
>>>
>>> SHN_ABS symbols can have different types, STT_OBJECT, STT_FILE and maybe others.  In order for the writer to tell it must have a way to reach back and ask the atom what type of symbols caused it to be created.  To that end I added a contentType method to AbsoluteAtom and sprinkled changes around to make this work.
>> Tell me more about the semantics of STT_FILE.  The goal is not just to pass through ELF-isms.  The goal is to define a really good model and translate each object format into that model.  A web search for STT_FILE gives:
>>
> In this case for it may be an ELF'ism, when
> st_info == STB_LOCAL | STT_FILE
> st_shndx == SHN_ABS
>
> Then st_value will probably be zero and this symbol's name should match
> the name of the originating source file.
The lld::File class has a method translationUnitSource() that (if available) returns the path to the source file that created this object file.  If this matches the semantics of STB_LOCAL | STT_FILE, then the reader could use that SHN_ABS symbol to populate an ivar that translationUnitSource() returns.    That is, that symbol converts into a File attribute and not into an Atom.

-Nick