[LLVMdev] Where do I put the propeller?

Krzysztof Parzyszek kparzysz at codeaurora.org
Tue Nov 27 12:23:25 PST 2012

On 11/27/2012 12:50 PM, Dan Gohman wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Krzysztof Parzyszek
>
> Here is an analogy for your consideration. "Where do I put the propeller?"
>
> [...]
>
> You want a no-compromise helicopter

I want an industrial-strength compiler.  With the possibilities that we
have here in the LLVM developers community, the sky is the limit.  I see
no reason why we should restrict ourselves to any design that has
serious known limitations.

I've spent 8 years working on a compiler that was a bleeding edge of
compiler technology, and with people who had a wealth of wisdom and
insight into how to build compilers.  I've tried very hard to absorb
that intangible knowledge and I believe that to a considerable extent I
have managed to do that.  Now, that we have a still developing compiler
that we can do whatever we want with, I'm presenting ideas that I
believe may be the key to having a world-class optimizer.

The thread that you branched off from shows that there is an interest in
the scientific and research community in having a compiler that can
perform well on codes where loop optimizations (including user-guided
optimizations) are of paramount importance, so I'm not convinced by your
argument that the community as a whole is happy with what we have.
Certainly, some people are, but we should not leave out a large group
that could also benefit from our work.

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation