[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] costing optimisations

john skaller skaller at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Nov 23 02:19:59 PST 2012

On 23/11/2012, at 8:28 PM, David Tweed wrote:

> Firstly I don't think TeX does pre-estimation of work, it's just the
> standard stepwise "refinement stuff".

I didn't mean that example to be taken so literally.
When TeX formats a paragraph, it has to decide
where to put line breaks. Breaking a line on a space
has less badness that hyphenating a word. If I recall
hyphenations can have different badnesses. The thing is
that stretching whitespace also has a badness dependent on
how much you stretch it.

So TeX actually considers several possible break points,
and calculates a badness for each one.  but there's more.
The choice of a break point in a line affects the next line.
And the one after that, etc. TeX tries to solve for optimal layout
of the whole paragraph. That's why it produces such awesome
results.

> However, it's also potentially introducing highly
> non-predictable/principle-of-least-surprise behaviour into the compiler,
> particularly since llvm can be used as a JIT. So I suspect it wouldn't be
> something most people would want for mainstream clang/llvm, but if might be
> interesting if someone were to implement some passes like this (probably
> out-of-tree) and see if it proves beneficial.

My problem is that I get quantum non-determinism :)
Either the compiler finishes and does a "reasonable job"
or it takes so long the whole thing gets killed.

Of course, I could re-run the compiler with a lower optimisation
switch in that case. I think I might try that.

> Of course Sean's point that superlinear behaviour ought to be reported as
> it's probably a bug is very true,

Isn't data flow analysis O(N^3)?
You cannot do proper alias analysis without it.

--
john skaller
skaller at users.sourceforge.net
http://felix-lang.org