[LLVMdev] llvm-config --cxxflags is not consistent when building by cmake.

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Thu Nov 22 16:06:20 PST 2012

Duncan Sands <baldrick at free.fr> writes:

>> Using -fno-rtti and -fno-exceptions is an internal LLVM policy. There is
>> no reason to impose it on client code.
>
> actually it does impact external code.  For example dragonegg does
>
>   #include "llvm/Support/PluginLoader.h"
>
> This file contains
>
>   // This causes operator= above to be invoked for every -load option.
>   static cl::opt<PluginLoader, false, cl::parser<std::string> >
>     LoadOpt("load", cl::ZeroOrMore, cl::value_desc("pluginfilename"),
>             cl::desc("Load the specified plugin"));
>
> If dragonegg is compiled with RTTI then linking fails because there is no RTTI
> for the cl::opt class.  Thus dragonegg is forced to compile with -fno-rtti if
> it wants to work with this part of LLVM.
>
> There is also the question of what `llvm-config --cxxflags` is supposed to mean.
> Is it supposed to give the flags that LLVM was compiled with?  Or is it supposed
> to give the flags that users of LLVM must compile themselves with?  If it's the
> second why does it have optimization levels (-O2), debug info (-g) and so on,
> which are not at all required for code using LLVM?  To my mind the only thing
> that really makes sense if that `llvm-config --cxxflags` gives the flags that
> LLVM was compiled with, in which case it should contain -fno-rtti and
> -fno-exceptions because LLVM was compiled with those.

>From http://llvm.org/docs/CommandGuide/llvm-config.html :

DESCRIPTION

llvm-config makes it easier to build applications that use LLVM. It can
print the compiler flags, linker flags and object libraries needed to
link against LLVM.

–cxxflags
Print the C++ compiler flags needed to use LLVM headers.

I think the above clears the question about the purpose of
llvm-config. And I think you are right about -O2, -g etc. IMO
-fno-exceptions and -fno-rtti are on almost the same category, because
although the may be required for some uses, listing them on the output
of --cxxflags may confuse the user by giving the idea that they are
strictly required for using LLVM libraries, which is mostly false. It
would be a bad thing if some user ends redesigning his compiler's
implementation because he thinks that RTTI and exceptions are not
allowed.

Please note that LLVM uses RTTI and (IRC) exceptions on certain files,
so the output of llvm-config --cxxflags wouldn't be valid for building
LLVM itself!