[LLVMdev] Poll Results: Do you prefer Git or SVN for LLVM development?

Greg Fitzgerald garious at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 12:12:37 PST 2012

Thank you everyone for your participation.

A few flaws in my poll:

1) Favoring Git: Subversion supporters are more likely to be split
between the last two options.
2) Favoring SVN: Timing of the poll went from Friday night to Monday
morning, which probably favored the open source community to 9-to-5ers
on private forks.
3) Favoring radicals: Too easy to cheat. Requiring a login or email
address would have been better, but may have discouraged
participation.

Although accuracy is poor, the split is wide enough that demonstrate
Git has wide support and that SVN's support is still significant.  At
noon PST on Monday morning, we are at 70 supporting Git-only, 12
supporting SVN-only, and 12 supporting both.  Or Git-only vs the rest
at 70-to-24, roughly 3-to-1.  I think this suggests either that the
community is abandoning the incumbent VCS, or that there are a number
of private forks with a vested interested in switching to a DVCS.
What I find most interesting is that Git support is so high despite
the GettingStarted page encouraging the use of SVN and referring to
Git as just a mirror.

-Greg