[LLVMdev] Two questions regarding pass managers and passes

Pedro Artigas partigas at apple.com
Fri Nov 16 10:08:34 PST 2012

Hello All,

I have two questions, one more of an implementation question, the other more a design question.

First: I noticed that if one moves the FPPassManager::doInitialization(Module) call from FPPassManager::runOnModule to MPPassManager::runOnModule (which is the new location I am aiming for to avoid the need for a doInitialization/doFinalization outside of the run methods, as preferred by Chris Lattner) some function passes fail. Notably the Address sanitizer test in the dump below complains:

FAIL: LLVM :: Instrumentation/AddressSanitizer/instrument_initializer_metadata.ll (3773 of 6811)
******************** TEST 'LLVM :: Instrumentation/AddressSanitizer/instrument_initializer_metadata.ll' FAILED ********************
Script:
--
/Users/partigas/Desktop/src/build/Debug+Asserts/bin/opt < /Users/partigas/Desktop/src/llvm/test/Instrumentation/AddressSanitizer/instrument_initializer_metadata.ll -asan -asan-initialization-order -S | /Users/partigas/Desktop/src/build/Debug+Asserts/bin/FileCheck /Users/partigas/Desktop/src/llvm/test/Instrumentation/AddressSanitizer/instrument_initializer_metadata.ll
--
Exit Code: 1
Command Output (stderr):

I presume this is either a bug (as the ordering of the doInitialization/doFinalization per module should not matter as they are just setting up/clearing up internal state) and/or it is some interaction with the rest of the code in the main loop of MPPassManager::runOnModule. That is, some function pass expects to be initialized/finalized before the completion of the loop in MPPassManager::runOnModule.

If someone has a clue, please let me know. I am investigating more.

Second: Why do we need to use the FunctionPassManager pass manager interface in clang? it seems we call doInitialization, iterate over the functions and finally call doFinalization… this seems like it is exactly what a PassManager style pass manager would do anyways. So why not use that and hide the loop over the functions in the run method of the PassManager? Does anyone know the reasoning for that?

Thanks for any info,

Pedro

PS: I am planning on avoiding the need for doInitialization/doFinalization on the PassManager interface and, after I achieve that, move the doInitialization/doFinalization methods to the base Pass class, as suggested on the llvm-commits list.