[LLVMdev] code-owner sporks

Greg Fitzgerald garious at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 16:39:19 PST 2012

David A. Green wrote:
> I find llvm-commits daunting.  So much that I hesitate to do reviews.
> As Chris commented, I am not very active on that list.  There's a reason
> for that beyond lack of time.

So the goal is to make it easier for a member of the community to
review only commits to a sub-tree that interests them?

Let's say it may or may not be easier for reviewers to monitor the
Pull Requests of a spork than to write a clever filter for
llvm-commits.  And we'll also say that it may or may not be easier for
reviewers to comment on a patch on Github than trying to reference
code blocks in llvm-commits email.  At this point we really don't know
if one solution is better than the other, but we have good reason to
believe Pull Requests might be a big win.  So rather than all the
talk, can we baby-step forward in a noncommittal way?

How about allowing the code owner to add a line to CODE_OWNERS.TXT of
the location to submit patches?  If no location is given, assume
llvm-commits.  If the URI is a Github spork, the contributor should
make a Pull Request.

Thanks,
Greg