[LLVMdev] svn mirror git?

dag at cray.com dag at cray.com
Fri Nov 16 09:19:40 PST 2012

Sean Silva <silvas at purdue.edu> writes:

> The thing about this is that git-svn (un?)fortunately works so well
> that you can get all of these benefits with the main repo still in
> SVN. Hence, it is really a moot point regarding a switch to git for
> the main repo. E.g.:

I agree that git-svn is a big help but it is not the same as native git.
For one thing, it can't integrate with a private svn repository.

> I agree that if you aren't developing with git for the local branch,
> then it would be insanely painful

That is exactly the situation I am in.  I have tried to change this many
times but it is out of my control, unfortunately.  Yet I keep trying.
:)

I'm not saying that LLVM should switch to git because of my situation.
I'm simply highlighting the way things are now and expressing that the
LLVM community is missing out on a bunch of improvements we've made
because it is so darn painful to merge.

> but the fact that git-svn allows for git on the local side gives all
> of the benefits in this particular case without having to move the
> main repo away from SVN.

That's not entirely true.  When working with git-svn, one has to be
*very* careful about managing local branches.  Because git-svn requires
frequent rebases, sharing local branches with other developers becomes
tricky.  Not impossible, but you have to be very careful not to screw
things up.  It doesn't _feel_ like git, totally.  It mostly does, until
you hit the corner cases.

                            -David