[LLVMdev] svn mirror git?

dag at cray.com dag at cray.com
Fri Nov 16 09:13:45 PST 2012

Sean Silva <silvas at purdue.edu> writes:

>>> What you suggest works great for the occasional drive-by
>>> contributors, but most development is not from drive-by's.
>>
>> Not sure what you mean by "drive-by" but in git this is really
>> irrelevant, I think.
>
> What I was trying to get across is that most development (in the
> status quo) is actually done by people that are closer to the
> "maintainer" role, so making it easy for "contributor" is not a
> gigantic priority;

See, I think this assumption is false.  Any organization that has a
private branch (we do here at Cray) is going to look more like a
"contributor" than a "maintainer" and we do in fact do significant
development.  Much of it we cannot release for legal/NDA reasons but we
do have quite a bit of code we'd like to integrate upstream.  And doing
that is *painful*.

Now I know all the arguments about developing based on trunk and I
understand them, BUT for organizations such as ours, controlling when
changes to the base software happens is critical.  We like to keep as
up-to-date as possible but we need to be able to monitor and control
when we upgrade.  There are too many moving parts to simply track trunk
all the time.

> Also, "contributor" is not going to be sending in huge changes, so the
> overhead of git-fetch'ing from github or wherever is probably going to
> be greater than git-apply of an attached patch.

Again, I think this assumption is unwarranted when you consider the
whole LLVM community instead of just the current regular contributors to
trunk.

                             -David