[LLVMdev] svn mirror git?

David Chisnall David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 15 08:43:01 PST 2012

On 15 Nov 2012, at 08:31, Greg Fitzgerald wrote:

> Has there been discussion about having svn mirror git instead of vice versa?  I've been happy with the git+cmake+ninja combo for a while now, but the online docs suggests this configuration is second-class to svn+autotools+make.  Is the community transitioning to any particular configuration?

I think svn works better than git as an authoritative upstream (monotonic version numbers being the most obvious advantage).

A few months ago, people were talking about removing the autotools build system in favour of cmake, although I don't think that a consensus was reached.  I've also now switched to using cmake+ninja, and it's a lot better as a development platform (incremental builds for minor changes take 1-2 seconds instead 12-15 as recursive make discovers it doesn't have anything to do, which makes a huge difference when you do 10-20 edit-build-test cycles in quick succession).  I think there are still a few things that the cmake system can't do, but I'd definitely be in favour of making it the authoritative build system.  It's also vastly easier to build out-of-tree components when you are using cmake.  That said, Ninja is still pretty experimental.  The latest CMake to ship on OS X, for example, doesn't support it out of the box, and clock skew (which is easy to get in a VM) can confuse Ninja in a way that doesn't give helpful errors.

David