[LLVMdev] problem trying to write an LLVM register-allocation pass

Lang Hames lhames at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 23:20:04 PST 2012

Hi Susan,

The problem is that the allocator is re-using the 'preg', which is
calculated for an operand that may have a subreg index, for loads and
stores to a stack-slot. The stack slot always has the same width as vreg
(which is the right behavior), but for operands with subreg indexes,
'preg''s class will be different from 'vreg', in which case you get the
mismatched loads/stores you were seeing.

I've attached an updated copy of Gcra.cpp that doesn't exhibit this bug. In
the new version the loads and stores always reference 'preg', which is
always a physical register of the same class as 'vreg'. The update adds a
new variable, preg_op, to hold the subregister of preg that will be used
for the operand currently being rewritten, and preg_op will be set to a
subreg of preg where appropriate.

- Lang.