[LLVMdev] Project Release Branches

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Mon Nov 12 11:26:28 PST 2012

Dear Pawel and All,

Pawel (and other release managers), can you ask the project maintainers
for each project whether they want a release branch before creating it
next time?  Alternatively, can you leave branch creation up to the
project maintainers as in the past?

Pawel, you created a release_32 branch of SAFECode last night without my
consultation.  That commit itself is fine since we just happen to be
tracking LLVM mainline right now; I'll just tell SAFECode developers to
move development to the release_32 branch. However, in general, you
can't assume that SAFECode mainline is tracking LLVM mainline; if you
do, and we're not, you may fork a release branch before all changes to
the previous release branch have been folded back into mainline.

Thanks.

-- John T.