[LLVMdev] RFC: Code Ownership

Jan Sjodin jan_sjodin at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 12 10:09:44 PST 2012

> Not exactly - since this includes post commit review too. Since we

> don't have any positive acknowledgement of post-commit review (when
> there are no comments being provided) a code owner will generally end
> up having to perform any cases of post-commit review in there area
> (since they have no way of knowing that someone else also did so if
> they provided no feedback).
>
> Certainly if a code owner comes up with some way to manage the
> post-commit review of their trusted reviewers using a shared queue,
> that could be a way to alleviate some of this load.

I think it would be good policy to have anyone doing a formal (thorough) review
send a mail to the code owner with comments (or an OK). Code owners can
then organize reviewers the way they want.
  Keeping track of what has been reviewed is essential, since the
majority of commits (I am guessing) are post-commit reviews. Having a person
quickly scan over a patch, especially if it ends up being a self-review in case
the code owner is committing code, is unlikely to improve things. I don't want
a heavy-weight process, but if people are going to come in and drop out etc,
there has to be some way of keeping track of things.

- Jan