[LLVMdev] Binutils and LLVM - gathering information

Joshua Cranmer pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 19:34:45 PST 2012

On 11/6/2012 4:19 PM, Marshall Clow wrote:
> * as (assembler) -- There is llvm-as, but it appears to be an assembler for LLVM bitcode.
The MC framework can definitely do this, but we don't have any tool
(AFAIK) that roughly matches driver-compatibility with gas.
> * gprof (Displays profiling information) -- ????
This goes along vaguely with gcov, which has lots of issues which makes
replacement impossible.
> * objdump (Displays information from object files) -- llvm-objdump appears to do this for bitcode, object and archive files.
I can say with complete confidence from experience that llvm-objdump is
not a good drop-in replacement for objdump. The biggest issue I had was
that objdump resolves addresses into symbol names, so you get things
like jmp xxxx <foo+123>, which is not performed by llvm-objdump.
> I'd appreciate if people with more knowledge than myself could chime in with updates to this list.

If we're gathering toolchain information, it's probably best to also
include the other programs/libraries included in gcc and gdb as well.
For the sake of completeness, in addition to your above list, I'd add:
[gcc]
* gcc/g++/gobjc++/gobjc - clang/clang++
* gcj - vmkit, although it is only a frontend at bytecode level instead
of source level
* gfortran - flang? I've heard it mentioned before, but it appears to
have gotten nowhere.
* gccgo - [No Go frontend]
* gnat - [No Ada frontend]
* gcov - llvm-cov
* cpp - This is conceptually equal to clang -E.
* libada - [No Ada frontend]
* libffi - ???
* libgcc - compiler-rt
* libgfortran - No fortran frontend
* libgo - No go frontend
* libgomp - ???
* libiberty - ???
* libitm - ???
* libjava - What would be necessary is probably part of vmkit.
* libmudflap - ???
* libquadmath - ???
* libssp - ???
* libstdc++ - libc++ and libc++-abi

[Most of the lib* stuff probably goes into compiler-rt]

[binutils]
* elfedit - ??? [You didn't have this in your list]
* libbfd - ???
* libopcodes - ???

[gdb]
* gcore - ???