[LLVMdev] How can I build Mysql and Apache using LLVM

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 23:31:50 PDT 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Zhoujinguo <zhoujinguo1988 at yahoo.cn> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am interested in building some large projects to get single .bc files.
> Is there an easy way to do this? Or do I have to go through and understand
> the whole makefile script?

This is what LLVM's "LTO" (Link Time Optimization) does, basically. This is
triggered by building with -O4 and you'd need to use an LTO-aware linker
(like gold) to handle the link step. I'm not sure how you'd actually dump
out bitcode from the linker, rather than a final binary - but that's
more-or-less where you'd get involved.

I realize this is a bit vague (as I'm by no means an expert on the matter)
but thought it might be at least a pointer to some ideas/approach.

- David