[LLVMdev] Using LLVM code in projects/compiler-rt

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Thu May 31 13:20:24 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Rafael EspĂ­ndola <
rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31 May 2012 05:02, Alexey Samsonov <samsonov at google.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > tl;dr How can I include LLVM headers and use code from libLLVM*.a files
> when
> > building compiler-rt libraries?
>
> LLVM and compiler-rt  have different licenses (compiler-rt is dual
> licensed with the MIT license). Would that be a problem?

This is a good point...

Chris, I'm wondering whether putting all of the runtimes into 'compiler-rt'
is really the best structure at this point... What would seem a somewhat
less awkward fit to me these days:

- a runtimes project which contains various runtime libraries, under the
usual LLVM license
- the original 'compiler-rt' bits either as a sub-library of this which
happens to be buildable stand-alone and dual-licensed, or as its own
entirely separate project
- coverage profile runtime, asan, tsan, and common runtime libraries
separated out from compiler-rt

We can achieve the same technical result with the current structure, but
its inverted and awkward: the restrictive rules (dual license / stand-alone
build) are enforced in an outer layer, with the permissive rules returning
in an inner layer (the asan or tsan runtimes themselves).

Thoughts?

If this is the direction to go, I'm happy to do the lion share of leg work
to re-organize (with the help of ASan folks)... I think my personal
preference would be for compiler-rt to be a separate top-level project from
a generic 'runtimes' project.