[LLVMdev] Linking times

Mikael Lyngvig mikael at lyngvig.org
Sun May 27 02:18:22 PDT 2012

Hi,

Just a brief follow-up on my link time issue: It was caused by excessive
trashing; I tried rebuilding on a box with 8 gigs of RAM and observed the
memory load while linking clang.exe: It peaked at 5 gigabytes memory, so
now I've written this piece of info into the LLVM/Windows document that I
posted earlier (I have already made a substantial number of corrections in
the document).  All in all, it took the 2 gig box about 5 hours to link
clang.exe :-)

I must say that I am once again surprised about GNU tools.  I'd expect the
linker to use perhaps 100 megabytes of memory as it only needs to record
where the BLOBs are in the input files and then, during one of the final
passes, copy each binary block to the output file - without caching it in
memory.  I do suspect that GNU ld indiscriminantly reads in everything
under the assumption that people never link that large files.

Cheers,
Mikael
-- Love Thy Frog!