[LLVMdev] Linking clang.exe takes more than two hours?

Mikael Lyngvig mikael at lyngvig.org
Sat May 26 20:04:59 PDT 2012

Hi,

I'm building using MINGW64 on a very slow system (Intel Atom 330 X2 1.6
GHz), but it seems rather odd that the system has been linking clang.exe
for the past two hours.  It appears that a couple of gigabytes of virtual
memory are being used (causing constant swapping) - the system has only 2
GB of physical memory.

Is this a bug in MINGW64 (binutils 2.22) or is it just too little RAM in
the build machine?  After all, clang.exe is only about 35 megabytes or so,
so you'd think that it didn't take four gigabytes to link the executable.
 But then again, the input libraries to clang.exe take up about 1.2
gigabyte.  If the GNU/MINGW64 linker naively reads all library files into
memory and then searches about to resolve unresolved symbols, I guess it
could cause excessive trashing during link.

Cheers,
Mikael