[LLVMdev] Inserting a branch in PPCTargetLowering::LowerFormalArguments_SVR4

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Thu May 10 12:34:03 PDT 2012

Hi Hal,

Yes, you could definitely expand them later. Custom inserters are effectively just a very early expand pseudo instruction. You can even expand them very late in the MC lowering (asmprinter) if you really need to. That could get tricky, as you'll effectively be fibbing to the register allocator. ARM uses quite a lot of late expanded pseudo-instructions, for example, though generally not w/ branching involved, so the regalloc implications are more easily modeled.

>From the context, I gather that CR6 changes state dynamically over the course of a program's execution? It's not a compile time determinable thing? If it were compile time, you could deal with this as a different calling convention instead, which changes which regs are call clobbered vs. call preserved. Sounds like this is more complicated than that, though.

-Jim