[LLVMdev] Scheduler Roadmap

dag at cray.com dag at cray.com
Thu May 10 09:24:12 PDT 2012

Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> writes:

> Out of curiosity, can your frontend be configured to produce LLVM IR
> that could be fed though the trunk backend passes, or is a tighter
> integration required?

Yes, we have this capability.

> If it is possible to produce LLVM IR, then it might be possible to
> test a lot, although not all, of the upstream changes using your
> internal test suite in combination with the generic trunk backend in a
> fairly straightforward manner.

Unfortuantely out test system isn't set up to accept LLVM IR files.
This is something I've wanted to have implemented for a long time but
we're all stretched pretty thin here.

> It might even be possible to setup a system to warn the upstream
> developers when we've broken something.

I would like that very much.  It's a resource issue, not a technical
one.

I think it's pretty common for teams producing production-quality code
to want to base pieces off of tested and released software.  I had never
head of any company doing otherwise until Apple with LLVM.  It's not the
normal way to produce releases off an unstable trunk.

                               -Dave