[LLVMdev] Taking over work on CodeExtractor, spiffing it up, and making it nice & easy to use

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at gmail.com
Wed May 2 01:34:01 PDT 2012

Hello folks,

Just as a heads up, I chatted with Owen today about a little known bit of
LLVM: lib/Transforms/Utils/CodeExtractor.cpp

A toy project of mine has a use for this functionality, and it still seems
to mostly work, so I'm going to be spending some time doing cleanup and
general maintenance on the code to make it easier and more suitable for
consumption by actual optimization passes. Currently it's only used by
passes which aren't currently enabled and are likely to be axed in the near
future, so it has had a bit of bit-rot.

Please let me know if you have out-of-tree users of this logic, requests,
hatred, or other concerns here.

My plan (with Owen's blessing) is to essentially take over ownership of
this corner of LLVM as it seems much in need of maintainers these days.
Again, let me know if there are concerns there. =]

-Chandler