[LLVMdev] Question about post RA scheduler

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Mon Mar 12 22:39:28 PDT 2012

On Mar 7, 2012, at 11:34 AM, Akira Hatanaka <ahatanak at gmail.com> wrote:

> I filed a bug report (Bug 12205).
> Please take a look when you have time.
>
> Per your suggestion, I also attached a patch which attaches to load or
> store nodes a machinepointerinfo that points to a stack frame object
> when it can infer they are actually reading from or writing to the
> stack. The test that was failing passes if I apply this patch, but I
> doubt this is the right approach, because this will fail if
> InferPointerInfo in SelectionDAG.cpp cannot discover a load or store
> is accessing a stack object (it can only infer the information if the
> expression for the pointer is simple, for example add FI + const).
>
> An alternative approach might be to make the machinepointerinfo of the
> stores refer to %struct.ObjPointStruct* byval %P or refer to nothing,
> but that currently doesn't seem to be possible.

I've thought of several ways we could potentially handle this. All are fairly messy without recognizing the situation during argument lowering. I'm not very familiar with the argument lowering code. But it seems to me you should be able to lookup the Value for the formal argument when you generate stack stores. Can you create a MachinePointerInfo for each store that refers to the argument value and proper offset? These initializers will no longer appear to alias with stack accesses, but that's probably ok. What exactly do you think is not possible?

If finding the formal argument value and offset is too hard, I suppose there are other hacks you could try. I'm not encouraging it though. Is it valid to set MachinePointerInfo.V = 0? You could try overriding it after calling getStore. If that's not valid, you could probably create a PseudoSourceValue that aliases with everything. I suppose the hackiest thing would be marking the store volatile. The alternative would be to define a new MachineMemOperand flag. I really don't think we should have to go that far though.

-Andy