[LLVMdev] Scalar replacement of arrays

Nicolas Capens nicolas.capens at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 10:14:09 PST 2012

Hi Eli,

I was surprised to see that you're getting more optimal code. But I'm
using the JIT so I realized there must be some extra optimization passes
in -O2 which I wasn't using. It turns out that a second scalarrepl
followed by ADCE did the trick for that small sample.

Initially it didn't work for my larger project though. So I dug a little
deeper and found out that scalarrepl uses a default threshold of 128
bytes for arrays. Increasing that to the size of the virtual processor's
register array made it work as expected! That is, as long as the array
isn't being dynamically indexed. In any case this is a little more
promising than I thought since scalarrepl does handle arrays.

However, I'm not sure if that's going to help achieve optimal code for
when the array is sometimes being dynamically indexed. Essentially there
should be some kind of store to load copy propagation. As far as I know
that's exactly what mem2reg does, except that it only considers scalars
and not elements of arrays.

So would it be hard to extend mem2reg to also consider elements of
arrays for promotion? It should obviously not perform the promotion when
in between the store and load there's a dynamically indexed access to
the array. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems it would be superior
to scalarrepl itself (for arrays).

Is there anyone experienced with mem2reg who wants to implement this? If
not, any advice on how to best approach this?

Thanks,
Nicolas