[LLVMdev] OpenCL backend for LLVM

Simon Moll simon.m.moll at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 6 02:49:11 PST 2012

Hi Micah,

i just had a quick look at your structurizer. Here is what if found
(correct me, if i am mistaken):
* Our approaches for handling Loops with multiple exits are identical.
("Loop-Exit Enumeration")
* Axtor implements Controlled-Node Splitting and can cope with
irreducible control-flow.
(http://cardit.et.tudelft.nl/MOVE/papers/cc96.ps)
* Axtor translates switches to cascading IF-instructions
* You are cloning nodes for predecessors to restructure IF-structures.
In Axtor, additionally to that, i implemented another method of dealing
with unstructured IFs. That method basically does the same as the
loop-exit structurizer.
When parsing an IF, it collects all branches to conflicting blocks you
would otherwise clone and puts all those blocks behind a landing block.
That block than makes the exit for the IF.
I favour that approach for several reasons:
Firstly, it is not safe to clone blocks that contain memory
barriers/fences (at least not wrt the OpenCL specification, because the
pathes of the threads leading to a barrier might not all be governed by
uniform state).
Secondly, i assumed that it is easier for the "receiving" OpenCL
compiler to recover the original CFG with the landing block approach. It
seems much harder to identify duplicate blocks than to trace a successor
through the landing block.

The idea behind axtor was to make functions with arbitrary CFGs work on
GPUs (usual exceptions apply: no fnc/block ptrs), such that a reliable
OpenCL backend becomes feasible.