[LLVMdev] Proposed implementation of N3333 hashing interfaces for LLVM (and possible libc++)

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Thu Mar 1 05:01:39 PST 2012

Thanks for all the comments!

I think I've addressed all of them, as wel as Duncan's comments from IRC.
Based on your OK Nick, I'm planning to commit this tomorrow. If anyone has
objections or serious concerns, please let me know to hold off. Updated
patch is attached, as well as the latest version of the header.

For the record, the only concern that has come up thus far is one of
performance. The explanation there is that while some algorithms are
slightly faster (5-10 cycles max), they are significantly lower quality,
and don't currently show up on profiles. I'd like to get the quality up to
remove collisions, and then continue working to improve the actual
performance.

Clearly, very sensitive and hot routines like the Clang lexer's StringMap
aren't about to change without careful benchmarking and numbers on those
specific components. =] I think StringMap will be the very last bit of
hashing to change considering its requirements.