[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] is configure+make dead yet?

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Wed Jun 27 06:43:11 PDT 2012

Mason Wheeler <masonwheeler at yahoo.com> writes:

>>If you are thinking of Windows, well, there is a fundamental limitation
>>there, not an issue with CMake. Autoconf has a hack for building LLVM as
>>a single, monolithic dll while using MinGW. That hack can be easily
>>replicated on CMake. As for Visual Studio, autoconf is pretty useless,
>>so no dll's there in any case until someone sprinkles the LLVM C++
>>sources with the necessary declarations.
>
> So the problem's not with the build system, it's that the source code itself
> is just not written right and it only builds under other systems by exploiting
> some weird hack?

The sources lack the required declarations, but those are strictly
necessary for Visual Studio only. Toolsets based on gcc can do without
them: they just export everything by default, which is hardly optimal,
but it works.

> Thanks, that's good to know.  C/C++ really isn't my area of expertise.  So
> are there any plans to fix the sources?

It was suggested several times, but there was no definitive answer from
the project leader, IIRC.