[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] is configure+make dead yet?

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Wed Jun 27 06:01:30 PDT 2012

Mason Wheeler <masonwheeler at yahoo.com> writes:

>>If the following statement is true, then which build system to choose
>>is a no-brainer:
>
>>> cmake, while ugly, can be made to support all of our use cases. There
>>> are some use cases that autoconf+make can't support
>>-- Chandler Carruth, On 21 Jun 2012, at 01:19
>
> Unfortunately,
>  when CMake is not even capable of one of the most fundamental tasks
> that anyone would care to use LLVM for, namely setting up project files
> to build LLVM as a DLL so they can build a compiler atop it,

You are misinformed. The LLVM CMake scripts can build LLVM/Clang as
shared libraries since almost day one.

If you are thinking of Windows, well, there is a fundamental limitation
there, not an issue with CMake. Autoconf has a hack for building LLVM as
a single, monolithic dll while using MinGW. That hack can be easily
replicated on CMake. As for Visual Studio, autoconf is pretty useless,
so no dll's there in any case until someone sprinkles the LLVM C++
sources with the necessary declarations.