[LLVMdev] What's the difference between using llvm-link and using llvm gold plugin?

Tianyin Xu tixu at cs.ucsd.edu
Tue Jun 26 13:46:52 PDT 2012

Hi,

I'm sorry if the question doesn't fit this mailing list. It seems that LLVM
does not have a user support mailing list so I post it here.

We're using the LLVM tool chain as our static analysis infrastructure. So,
basically we use LLVM to generate an aggregated .bc file and analyze the
.bc file.

The question I want to ask is what's the difference between using the LLVM
gold plugin to generate the .bc file and using llvm-link?

Previously, we use gold plugin which is quite handy. However, for some
special code base, we can only get a bunch of small .bc file, each of which
corresponding to a C or CPP file. So I'm thinking to use llvm-link to link
them together into one big .bc file. Here comes this question.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Best regards,
Tianyin