[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] is configure+make dead yet?

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Wed Jun 20 17:19:34 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Nick Lewycky <nlewycky at google.com> wrote:

> Is there anybody who is certain that our autoconf dependency needs to stay
> around? Are there developers stuck on systems that don't have a recent
> enough cmake in their most recent release, or maybe are using some features
> from configure+make that the cmake build system doesn't implement?
>
> If nobody pipes up, I might actually try actually removing it!

There are definitely missing features in cmake. I'm actually working on
adding one of them: support for compiler-rt. There are likely some others.

That said, I actually agree -- I think that cmake, while ugly, can be made
to support all of our use cases. There are some use cases that
autoconf+make can't support, so I'd rather we just pick cmake and bang on
it until it works the way we want.