[LLVMdev] What's Going Wrong with GCC 4.6.3 + dragonegg 3.1

Albert Graef Dr.Graef at t-online.de
Sun Jun 17 15:32:50 PDT 2012

On 06/16/2012 08:41 PM, Nick Lewycky wrote:
> Dragonegg doesn't handle -emit-llvm, and it's being silently eaten by
> gcc (offhand, I think it passes it down to the linker which in turn
> interprets it as meaning that "mit-llvm" will be the name of the entry
> point function). Try either -flto or -fplugin-arg-dragonegg-emit-ir to
> produce bitcode.

At present, this will only work with gcc -S in order to generate LLVM
assembler code (.ll) which can then be compiled to bitcode using
llvm-as. If you use -flto or -fplugin-arg-dragonegg-emit-ir with gcc -c,
gcc will just try to pass LLVM assembler to the system assembler (as),
with predictable results. ;-)

It would really be nice to have gcc -flto -c just work, but I think that
it's not possible right now because gcc needs to be patched up to
support it, right?

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  Dr.Graef at t-online.de, ag at muwiinfa.geschichte.uni-mainz.de
WWW:    http://www.musikinformatik.uni-mainz.de/ag