[LLVMdev] Ninja (make replacement)

Mikael Lyngvig mikael at lyngvig.org
Sun Jun 17 15:16:32 PDT 2012

Hi,

Ninja is being mentioned more and more frequently on this list, but I don't
think anybody has introduced it formally.

Ninja is, briefly put, a super-fast replacement for GNU Make, nmake, and
all the other make tools out there.

For those of you who are a bit reluctant to waste time on Ninja or don't
know what it is, I can strongly urge you to download it from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cmakescript/files/ together with a
Ninja-enabled version of CMake from the same URL.  It takes you perhaps 5
minutes, and you are going to earn them back hundreds and thousands of
times over the coming years.

My Clang build used to take 59:29 minutes using MinGW Makefiles.  With
Ninja, it takes 18:43 minutes!  That's a speed up of factor three.

Cheers,
Mikael