[LLVMdev] Windows development and "virus" in LLVM test suite

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Fri Jun 15 17:02:22 PDT 2012

Mikael Lyngvig <mikael at lyngvig.org> writes:

> Thanks for your input.  We are getting closer and closer to the final
> solution to this issue.  I agree with you, on second thought, that only THE
> offending file should be excluded.
>
> If somebody is stupid enough to disable their antivirus or remove it
> (namely me), it is their own choice and is not something that all of the
> LLVM group has to take part in.

Not having an AV or swithching it off at times is not a sign of
stupidity. The best antivirus is a mindful, knowledgeable user. And the
antivirus doesn't really protect you in case of risky behavior.

> So, I'll make sure the Windows docs very precisely and accurately tell the
> user to add that one single file to the ignore list.  Only thing I disagree
> about is that I think the exception should be added beforehand; no need to
> ask people to disable their antivirus solution if they can add the
> exception beforehand.

Yes, if the antivirus accepts an exception for a yet nonexistent file. I
bet most of them won't do that without fiddling with configuration
files.