[LLVMdev] Windows development and "virus" in LLVM test suite

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Fri Jun 15 14:00:03 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Mikael Lyngvig <mikael at lyngvig.org> wrote:

> 1. I can't tell Microsoft Security Essentials to ignore anything.  Even if
> I click Allow, it breaks the pull.
> 2. The issue is not me.  I don't download virus infested stuff and I don't
> visit dangerous sites so I rarely have a need for antivirus solutions.
>
> The issue is the newcomer Windows user whom I have to instruct to disable
> and/or remove his antivirus program if he or she wants to set up a Windows
> buildbot slave.  A bit drastic, but that's life as it is now.

At a fundamental level, I don't see easy ways to fix this.

A major user of LLVM is an anti-virus software suite.

A reasonable test case for them is to detect, well, a virus.

A reasonable use of the test suite (which note is *not* part of the primary
LLVM repository!) is to include tests that are a bit tricky to include with
LLVM by default either because they take too long to run, have too many
host dependencies, have weird license restrictions, etc etc.

It's not clear to me that making this optional test suite easier to install
on restrictive platforms like Windows with this security software you
mention is worth neutering the ClamAV tests run...