[LLVMdev] Final Windows MinGW buildbot slave document...

Justin Holewinski justin.holewinski at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 12:08:33 PDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 12:40 AM, Mikael Lyngvig <mikael at lyngvig.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here's the final, confirmed working version of my Windows guide for how to
> set up a MinGW buildbot slave.  Please consider to include it in the
> documentation on the LLVM website.
>
> Basically, it saves the newcoming Windows user about two or three days of
> experimentation to get it all working.  I think those days are important as
> many people balk at spending days on figuring out how to get flying when
> all they want is to take a look at LLVM and then perhaps later on become
> more and more involved with the dev group.
>
> If you don't like the document and/or won't use it, I won't be saddened.
>  You can sanely argue that the document is redundant, and you can also
> argue that it is very helpful. Both views are equally valid as far as I am
> concerned.  I just happen to like documentation that spells out what needs
> to be done because we're not all gurus from day one.
>
> I am sending it to this list because I don't know where else to post it.
>  llvm-commits seems a bit overkill for a document.

Some quick comments:

   1. Some of the points against Visual Studio are not necessarily true,
   e.g. there is a free version, and a lot of non-Microsoft tools/technologies
   work with it.
   2. This may be worth splitting into two documents: (1) building Clang
   with MinGW on Windows, and (2) creating a MinGW-based Clang build-bot.
   3. Since this is a new document, it may be worth writing it in
   Sphinx/ReST and integrating it with the ReST files under docs/.  Or at the
   very least, use the LLVM CSS style to match the existing HTML style.
   4. I'm sure about advocating for disabling of anti-virus during the
   build.
   5. Why tie this to the drangon MinGW64 release?  It would be nice to
   make sure it also works for a stable GCC release.

This is by no means a thorough critique, just a few points that jumped out
at me.  Please re-submit this as a patch to llvm-commits, so it can go
through the proper review channels.

> Cheers,
> Mikael
> -- Love Thy Frog!