[LLVMdev] sample of running google c++ lint script

Daniel Berlin dberlin at dberlin.org
Wed Jun 6 12:43:59 PDT 2012

> Not wanting to clean up the white space is exactly a simple but good
> example of technical debt that we are incurring.

I agree, it is a great example of long term technical debt.

> In that case it's very simple to see. We have a rule about that for our
> style and because we are too
> busy with other things, then we have allowed the technical debt to rise
> to a point where we don't
> want to ever pay it, or so you say.
>

> When I ran a script over the Target subtree, my simple check showed
> 20,000 violations of tab, line length and spaces at the end of line rules.

We should ask the LLVM steering committee to require a balanced
budget, including detailed plans for both for lines and whitespace, so
we know what targets we should be hitting.  That way we know if we
expect to add 10k LOC to TableGen, and where that 10k LOC is going to
be removed from to make up for it.