[LLVMdev] llvm-? new mailing list?

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Tue Jun 5 21:56:04 PDT 2012

On Jun 4, 2012, at 7:27 PM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Plus, IIRC on the past such -users ml was suggested and rejected by
> Chris on the grounds of not creating a wall separating developers and
> users (sorry if I'm misrepresenting something, it was lots of years
> ago). When you run an open source project where most users have the same
> profile as the developers, this makes so much sense that I think it is
> unnecessary to list those reasons.

FWIW, my opinion is basically: 1) it absolutely makes sense to have a cfe-users list, because there are tons of random "users of clang as a C compiler" that don't care about hacking on the compiler itself.  2) I don't see any utility in having an llvm-users list, because all "users" of llvm are compiler or other low level tools hackers, and llvmdev is the right list for that.

That said, I suggested that Tanya ask on llvmdev to see if there was some other reasonable way to split up llvmdev.  Just because I don't personally see it doesn't mean it can't exist :)

-Chris