[LLVMdev] llvm-? new mailing list?

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Mon Jun 4 15:57:44 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Tanya Lattner <lattner at apple.com> wrote:

> LLVMers,
>
> Traffic on llvm-dev is quite high and while the majority of it is LLVM
> development related, there are many other mails related to clients or other
> projects.
>
> Having an llvm-users doesn't make any sense, but perhaps having a
> llvm-clients or llvm-general mailing list may help offload some of the
> traffic.
>
> What do people think? Any other suggestions to divide up the traffic and
> reach the right people?

My minor view:

I suspect that llvm-users doesn't make a lot of sense because there just
aren't that many "pure" users of LLVM -- using LLVM involves some
reasonable about of hacking. Not sure about the value of a mailing list
other than 'llvmdev', although perhaps we should all work to reduce the
noise level on llvmdev.

I *do* think that projects which have much more direct user-facing aspects
to them should have a user-facing mailing list. Clang seems the obvious
example here, and I would expect 'clang-users' to be a useful list to
maintain. (cfe-users may be consistent, but it's awful hard on new comers
to find and remember...)