[LLVMdev] installation query

amruth.rd at knights.ucf.edu amruth.rd at knights.ucf.edu
Mon Jun 4 11:05:21 PDT 2012

Hello everyone,
I am a newbie to LLVM and I am trying to develop an LLVM pass. I came across this page "Writing an LLVM Pass" which said, "First, configure and build LLVM. This needs to be done directly inside the LLVM source tree rather than in a separate objects directory. "
where as LLVM installation page says to have a separate build directory for putting all the binaries. I am trying to understand why this distinction of having to build LLVM inside source when debuggers can still refer to the source files from build directory?
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks,Amruth