[LLVMdev] Using LLVM code in projects/compiler-rt

Benjamin Kramer benny.kra at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 1 03:09:51 PDT 2012

On 01.06.2012, at 11:21, Alexey Samsonov wrote:

> [...]
>

> > On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 7:13 AM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
> > On May 31, 2012, at 6:48 PM, Chandler Carruth wrote:
> >> I'm not sure that this solves the problem.  The reason we have dual licenses for the runtime stuff is that we don't want the UIUC license (which has a binary attribution clause) to affect stuff built with the compiler.  Saying that "clang -fasan produces code that has to binary attribute the LLVM license" is pretty lame.
> >>
> >> I think that what is *traditionally* thought of as compiler-rt has different needs from ASan/TSan/etc. The latter runtimes are really intended to be separate units from the binary; for example none of their code would ever be directly emitted into a function, etc. Certainly the scope and complexity of them are very different, and so it might still make sense to split these into two groups of runtime libraries.
> >
> > To be clear, compiler-rt isn't injected into functions.  Maybe a better definition is that compiler-rt is statically linked in, vs the more advanced runtimes that are dynamically linked in.
> >
> > Forming the division like this might make it easier to handle the attribution issues too enough trickery.
> >
> >> Were I drawing an arbitrary line, I would draw it around the runtime libraries which are stand-alone and implement an available spec for which other implementations can and do exist. (libgcc, libstdc++, etc etc.) Regardless of licensing issues, I suspect making this bucketing more clear would simplify some of these projects....
> >
> > Yeah, I completely agree with your goals.  This is one of the big concerns I had back when the dual licensing happened in the first place.
> >

> >> Anyways, there seem to be a few, all somewhat bad options left to us with ASan/TSan and similar more "advanced" runtimes:
> >>
> >> 1) Swallow the lame binary attribution clause requirement. Document this noisily.
> >> 2) Require they are build as DSOs, and thus the attribution restricted to that runtime library entity.
> >
> > Maybe 2a: engineer asan so that it *optionally* links to the DSO.  If the DSO is present, functionality is enabled, if not, it is silently disabled and the app still works (at some performance cost).   Could this work?
> >
> > DSO? You mean to make asan.so instead of asan.a?
> > This will work, but may cause confusion. If asan.so is not present, the asan-ified binary will crash instantly.
> >
> > For tsan, making it tsan.so instead of tsan.a will cause a huge performance penalty because tsan reads TLS on every memory access.
>
> It depends where you need to use LLVM libraries. Going back to the initial post of this thread, LLVM libraries will be used by asan/tsan to symbolicate stack traces. If that's the only use of LLVM in asan it would make a lot of sense to split that part into a DSO and link it on demand.
>
> That'll work too and is indeed simpler.
>
> Yes. Is there an easy way to build that part of LLVM (Support and DebugInfo) as .so files as well as .a?

You want to create a new .so which links the .a files from LLVM and doesn't export LLVM's symbols. This is another advantage of using .so over .a, think of what will happen when you want to link LLVM trunk with asan which is using a different version of LLVM. LLVM's symbols are not versioned. With a DSO you can just hide all symbols except a couple of entry points for your purposes and none of the symbols will collide.

- Ben