[LLVMdev] Benchmarks for small embedded platforms

James Pallister james.pallister at embecosm.com
Tue Jul 31 11:18:50 PDT 2012

> Perhaps you mean any Open Source license? It seems rather pointless to intentionally exclude BSD, MIT, Apache, etc, licenses as well as public domain code.
Thanks for catching this. I do mean any code under an Open Source
license is fine, just the particular benchmarks chosen happened to be
available under the GPL.

> That's definitely going to restrict things a bit. Why that platform? It's Thumb1 only, and most compilers these days focus their optimization work on Thumb2. That's certainly very true for LLVM.

That particular platform was chosen because it was readily available and
the development board is particularly easy to instrument with the power
monitoring hardware.

> For example, your choices above have a number of floating point intensive codes. The M0 does not have hardware floating point, so the results for those benchmarks on that processor will not be very interesting. On the other hand, I could easily see a processor like this encrypting its output data streams, so those tests will be very interesting.
I agree, some of the benchmarks may not be appropriate for every
platform. It is nice to have at least some benchmarks which can be
common between platforms so that comparisons can be drawn. A subset of
the benchmarks which makes more sense for the M0 could be used though.

> Chips of that class often spend most of their time doing non-compute intensive tasks. I/O over CAN, USB, plain serial, etc., with intermittent minor algorithmic work along the way. More compute heavy tasks like you outline above are typically performed on a more capable processor elsewhere in the system.
This is interesting, and something that I haven't considered. It may be
worthwhile me finding a type of benchmark that can cover these things
for the smaller processors.

Thanks,
James