[LLVMdev] Debug information and JIT

Bendersky, Eli eli.bendersky at intel.com
Sat Jul 28 21:59:36 PDT 2012

> > probably the reason that there is no action is surely that the old JIT
> > implementation is being replaced with the new MCJIT implementation, so
> > no-one feels very motivated to fix the old JIT since it is going away.
> > Try passing -use-mcjit to lli.
> >
> > Ciao, Duncan.
>
> Thanks for suggestion. Unfortunately, I can't check it now as MCJIT does not
> work with my project at the moment.

Why doesn’t it work with your project?

The old JIT emitter does not support debug info, hence the asserts. It is unlikely at this point that debug info support will be added to it in the future. So IMHO, you have two options:

1. If you need debug information emitted to your JITted machine code, use MCJIT.
2. If you don't need debug info, then as Eric has suggested, simply don't build the code with debug info (don't pass -g to clang when generating IR).

Eli

Intel Israel (74) Limited