[LLVMdev] Setting up a cross-compiler for cortex-m3

Renato Golin rengolin at systemcall.org
Tue Jul 24 13:48:30 PDT 2012

On 24 July 2012 21:32, Eric Christopher <echristo at apple.com> wrote:
> I'm going to take some offense at this.

Please, don't! My memory is not trust-worthy to that point. ;)

> I was reviewing all of his patches
> and the last I heard from him was that he was going to tablegen everything
> and send it back out. I don't recall ever seeing it and definitely never got
> a ping on it.

He sent out the table-gen quite a few times, but it got some vague
reviews at the beginning (I think you went on holidays), than you and
him (possibly) ended up ping-ponging privately and than it stopped.
Not sure what happened, don't take my memory to the letter.

Anyway, I've seen the bug salvatore referred to (4127) and I think
there is more to it than what we had.

AFAICS, there are three fronts:

1. Simple, table-gen pattern-match monster, that guesses most options
by one or two pieces of information. James had that. This is good for
Salvatore's use case, when you just want it to work when you say
"-mcpu=cortex-m3".
2. Complete, configuration file driven, where you can fine tune every
bit of your compilation, linking etc. This could be also generated
from a table-gen front-end, extended from James' patch.
3. Command line options, good for CMake environments (where some local
dirs have special behaviour, etc). These options can ALSO be derived
from the table-gen description, but that will be a bit harder, to keep
the ones we have now with the same behaviour.

--
cheers,
--renato

http://systemcall.org/