[LLVMdev] Help with Instruction Expansion on Mips

Reed Kotler rkotler at mips.com
Fri Jul 20 10:55:52 PDT 2012

YOu have to look for which DAG fragments are not being matched.

Then you can create patterns for those using alternate sequences.

When you disablea given instruction, don't just disable it, but also
look at what pattern it was matching.

Then create a patten for that using remaining instructions or in some
cases you might have to call a library function, as in the case of
floating pointing or maybe even integer multiply if you don't implement
that.

In some cases, the original instruction may be directly emitted by the
compiler, outside of the framework td files. Then you'll have to modify
c++ code and emit an alternate sequence.

Here are some simple patterns from the MipsInstrInfo.td

//===----------------------------------------------------------------------===//
//  Arbitrary patterns that map to one or more instructions
//===----------------------------------------------------------------------===//

// Small immediates
def : MipsPat<(i32 immSExt16:$in),
               (ADDiu ZERO, imm:$in)>;
def : MipsPat<(i32 immZExt16:$in),
               (ORi ZERO, imm:$in)>;
def : MipsPat<(i32 immLow16Zero:$in),
               (LUi (HI16 imm:$in))>;

Here are some which have several instructions

multiclass SetgePats<RegisterClass RC, Instruction SLTOp, Instruction
SLTuOp> {
   def : MipsPat<(setge RC:$lhs, RC:$rhs),
                 (XORi (SLTOp RC:$lhs, RC:$rhs), 1)>;
   def : MipsPat<(setuge RC:$lhs, RC:$rhs),
                 (XORi (SLTuOp RC:$lhs, RC:$rhs), 1)>;
}