[LLVMdev] rwx pages dangerous?

Kaylor, Andrew andrew.kaylor at intel.com
Wed Jul 18 16:30:41 PDT 2012

When you talk about lazy compilation, it isn't clear to me if you mean the single compilation step that produces a loadable module being delayed until a function is requested or the full-blown, legacy-JIT style lazy compilation of individual functions within a module being JITed only when needed.  If the latter, it isn't clear to me how that would be done within the MC model.

That's a bit of a tangential matter though.  I do agree with the basic flow as you laid it out.

I also agree with your statement that the MCJIT doesn't know about most of the gory bits regarding the copying, permissions, etc..  However, the RuntimeDyld should be involved with at least the interface that triggers these gory bits, if not the implementation details as such.  That is, the main thing that I think is missing is a way for the RuntimeDyld, which knows about what the permissions should be and when they can be set, to communicate that information to the memory manager, which should be responsible for actually setting the permissions.

-Andy