[LLVMdev] Phi translation

ryan baird ryanrbaird at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 14:07:35 PDT 2012

I just accidently sent a partially complete email, so this contains the
rest (sorry!)
I'm working on translating llvm's optimized intermediate code to another
compiler's intermediate code, and I'm working on the PHI instruction.

Here's an example phi instruction to help explain what I'm trying to do:
%inc25 = phi i32 [ 1, %entry ], [ %inc, %for.body ]

What I would want to do here is allocate some memory memory (i'm trying to
use %phi1 = alloca  i32, allign 4 ). Then, I want to go to the %entry block
and say "store i32  1, i32* %phi1", and in the %for.body I want to add
"store i32  1, i32* %phi1".

So first, I'm iterating through my function and basicblock:
    int phi = 0;
    Function::iterator func_bblock_itr = func->begin();
    for(; func_bblock_itr != func->end(); ++func_bblock_itr)
    {
        BasicBlock::iterator bblock_inst_itr = func_bblock_itr->begin();
        for(; bblock_inst_itr != func_bblock_itr->end(); ++bblock_inst_itr)
        {
Then, I look for PHI instructions:
            if(bblock_inst_itr->getOpcode() == Instruction::PHI) {
If I find one, I allocate space:
                string name = "phi";
                name.insert(3,to_string(phi));
                Twine tname= Twine(name);
                AllocaInst alloca =
AllocaInst(bblock_inst_itr->getOperand(0)->getType(),tname,func_bblock_itr->begin());
and then i go through the operands one by one to find where to put store
instructions:
                for(unsigned int i = 0; i <
bblock_inst_itr->getNumOperands();i++) {
                    Value *v = bblock_inst_itr->getOperand(i);
Here's where I don't know what to do: I want to create a store instruction
in that place:
                    StoreInst(v, alloca?, func_bblock_itr?);
               }
          }
}

Is this a decent approach to getting the instructions inserted? and what do
I put to get the pointer in the store instruction and the basicblock, the
current code gives me a bunch of errors.  Any help would be appreciated,
thanks!