[LLVMdev] FYI: Planning to remove ProfileInfo and related passes from LLVM

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Tue Jul 17 23:58:15 PDT 2012

FYI, thanks for all the discussion and feedback!

It sounds like folks are generally OK with the old stuff being cleared out,
so I plan to go ahead and do that. Specific concerns and the strategy for
them being addressed:

- Alastair's GSoC project is moving to the new branch probability
infrastructure and specifically branch weight metadata. It sounds like
nuking the profile stuff won't really even disrupt this work, so no need to
worry there.

- The llvm-prof, profile.pl, related profiling tools may work for some, but
not others. The only user is out-of-tree, and is already regularly broken
by updates. My suggestion would be to not update, and/or contribute
analogous tools for branch weight metadata representation. I'm happy to
give advice or help out here a little if I can. As we're already breaking
these, I don't think we should actually keep them in a half-dead zombie
state. If they're re-written, they should ideally be in C++ and better
tested.

- I'll watch the lists and try to help out anyone impacted by this.

For the record, I'm not just trying to break stuff. i'm looking at deep
changes to the pass manager, and the profiling passes don't always use it
cleanly at the moment. One fewer strange user will make the new design
easier and better. The strangeness appears to have to do with legacy and
lack of maintenance, nothing to do with the nature of profiling passes.

Thanks!
-Chandler