[LLVMdev] RFC: Profiling Enhancements (GSoC)

Alastair Murray alastairmurray42 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 23:25:40 PDT 2012

Hi Evan,

On 17/07/12 09:44, Evan Cheng wrote:
> In addition to your planned tasks, you might want to put in some work
> to ensure branch probabilities are not lost during optimization. One
> known issue is LLVM optimizer can turn branchy code into switch
> statements and it would completely discard probability.

Yes, I should of mentioned this in my email.  It was mentioned in the
other thread that this was always part of my plan, but probably post-GSoC.

Preserving branch metadata, however, seems easier than preserving
ProfileInfo, so I may be able to get started on this sooner.  I've only
just started looking at how to this though.

> Here is a  simple example: <snip>

Thank you, I'll have a look at where the information becomes inaccurate
for this example, and probably write quite a few more!

Regards,
Alastair.