[LLVMdev] FYI: Planning to remove ProfileInfo and related passes from LLVM

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 04:07:59 PDT 2012

Hello folks,

I'd like to remove all of the old and defunct profile info passes from
LLVM. These have been almost entirely supplanted by the BranchProbability
and BlockFrequency systems, which are actually on by default, and in use in
optimization passes.

The old system is not on, and hasn't been touched in years except to do
minor build fixes and updates.

As far as I'm aware, the only thing the old system supported which the new
one does not is loading profile data. However, it didn't support doing
anything useful with that data once loaded, and has seen essentially zero
testing on mainline over the past two years, so I think its time to let go
of this pile of code.

I'm planning to nuke it right away and I can resurrect it if someone
actually steps forward with a use case (and an offer to maintain and
support it, preferably integrating it w/ the above two systems).
-Chandler