[LLVMdev] [llvm-commits] Dealing with a corrupted /proc/self/exe link

Gabor Greif gabor.greif at alcatel-lucent.com
Sat Jul 14 01:57:47 PDT 2012

Chandler Carruth wrote:
> [...]
>     > <http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6189256>
>     >
>     >>
>     >> We often had reports about /proc/self/exe not working (and thus
>     clang crashing)
>     >> in chrooted environments. It is possible to mount /proc into the
>     chroot but this
>     >> seems to be missing from many setups. The code in LLVM that uses
>     /proc/self/exe
>     >> returns an empty string on error which confuses clang.
>     >
>     > There is no empty string for me, and the returned string is a real
>     object
>     > (bytewise identical to the real thing) :
>     >
>     > $ cd <into a dynamic view>
>     > $ cp /bin/ls .
>     > $ ls -l /proc/self/exe
>     > lrwxrwxrwx 1 ggreif ocs 0 Jul 13 21:27 /proc/self/exe -> /bin/ls
>     > $ ./ls -l /proc/self/exe
>     > lrwxrwxrwx 1 ggreif ocs 0 Jul 13 21:27 /proc/self/exe ->
>     /vol/ocs_userviews25_13/ggreif-hc_stm-OCSnb28718.vws/.s/00056/800006ba4fdf647els
>     >
>     > $ diff ./ls
>     /vol/ocs_userviews25_13/ggreif-hc_stm-OCSnb28718.vws/.s/00056/800006ba4fdf647els
>     > <no diffs>
>     >
>     > Unfortunately starting from the clang executable, there is no useful
>     > directory structure to be discovered :-(
>     >
>     >>
>     >> I don't really like having an autoconf switch for this as long as
>     you can determine
>     >> whether the result from /proc/self/exe is valid. When you're
>     adding a fallback to
>     >> Path.inc anyways, why not just try reading /proc/self/exe first,
>     and if it fails, use
>     >> your fallback? That would also fix the chroot problem.
>     >
>     > This is not a chroot problem. As shown above, I do not get a valid
>     clang path
>     > to manipulate and discover include directories, etc.
>     >
>     > The other method in lib/Support/Unix/Path.inc (i.e. dladdr,
>     realpath) works.
>     >
>     > I still maintain that I need the configure option.
>
>     Sorry for being mean, but this is a workaround for a bug in the
>     linux kernel that was
>     fixed years ago and is only visible when using an obscure revision
>     control system.
>
>     Also it requires rebuilding LLVM, so the fix isn't even helpful
>     without researching the
>     issue (if someone else hits it).
>
>     With this in mind I really don't see why this has to be in the
>     public tree, requiring
>     additions to two build systems. Can't you just apply the
>     one-line-patch to Path.inc
>     locally?
>

> I agree, this patch as is doesn't belong in the tree...

Hi Chandler,

yes, the audience is rather narrow (i.e. 'us' :-)

> However, I suspect that Clang already hase the capability to solve this
> problem for you.

Ok, good to hear.

> For context, we run Clang in a distributed build environment not
> dissimilar to the one you are describing, and for us as well
> /proc/self/exe does not really help us locate the Clang binary. There is
> a switch available (-no-canonical-prefixes) which in conjunction with
> some other things should use the value of argv[0] in main to locate the
> clang binary, not /proc/self/exe or anything else.

I shall read more on this in the code and experiment around a bit.
Is this way configurable, or a switch to clang? Clearly the former
would be better.

> Can you describe why it is that Clang is reading /proc/self/exe? We
> might be able to change that in a principled way to support numerous
> different filesystem layouts and scenarios where its results are correct
> but not helpful for locating executable-relative directory structures.

$ echo "int main(){return 0;}" > ttt.c
$ gdb Release+Asserts/bin/clang

Reading symbols from /home/ggreif/llvm/Release+Asserts/bin/clang...(no debugging symbols found)...done.

(gdb) b dladdr
Breakpoint 1 at 0x5d0d58

(gdb) run -c ttt.c
Starting program: /home/ggreif/llvm/Release+Asserts/bin/clang -c ttt.c
warning: no loadable sections found in added symbol-file system-supplied DSO at 0x2aaaaaaab000

Breakpoint 1, 0x0000003d61e01710 in dladdr () from /lib64/libdl.so.2
(gdb) bt
#0  0x0000003d61e01710 in dladdr () from /lib64/libdl.so.2
#1  0x00000000019d554d in llvm::sys::Path::GetMainExecutable(char const*, void*) ()
#2  0x00000000005d8882 in main ()

On your linux system you would set the breakpoint at 'readlink', but you
would see the same backtrace.

Thanks for your ideas,

cheers,

	Gabor