[LLVMdev] llvm.lifetime.start; what does it do exactly?

ryan baird ryanrbaird at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 08:58:19 PDT 2012

Esentially, I'm working on a translator someone started building for
llvm2.9 that translates an optimized .lln file to another intermediate
language, and I'm porting it to 3.1.

There is a new intrinsic that pops up in our test cases' lln files that
never used to, llvm.lifetime.start.  I looked up the description: "The
'llvm.lifetime.start' intrinsic specifies the start of a memory object's
lifetime."  However, it's still not clear to me what exactly i should do;
 should this actually be translated to anything (like a call to malloc or
something), or is it just used to keep information about the memory object?